- This event has passed.
Let’s Make a Parachute! | Microsoft Online
May 21 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pmFree
Let’s make a Parachute! – Live Event – Virtual STEM with Bit Project
This workshop is Hands On!
Welcome to Let’s make a Parachute!, a virtual STEM project brought to you by Bit Project and Microsoft Silicon Valley.
Have you ever wondered how a parachute works? It traps air and slows you down when you move fast!
In this activity, students will design a parachute for a miniature action figure. Tissue paper or a plastic bag and a few strings is all it takes to make your figure into an expert skydiver.
Throughout this activity, students will build a parachute, and understand the concepts of gravity and air resistance. They will apply this knowledge to a parachute and understand how different parts of the parachute creates these forces, and how these forces have an effect on the velocity of the parachute.
For this activity you will need the following items at home:
- Tissue paper or a plastic bag
- Hole puncher
- Small non-breakable action figure or miniature doll that may be dropped on the floor.
- If you do not have an action figure, use a piece of clay, a small wooden block, a measuring spoon, etc.
*** This list may be updated before the date of the event.
- This event is online. Review the event description and requirements in advance.
- For those under 18 years of age who may be joining, it is recommend that a parent/legal guardian be with you during the meeting.
- To find the link for Online/Virtual events: Click on the Visit Website link. Use the date filter or search using 1-2 words of the event title.